Sunday 22 September 2013

A day at the polo!!

So today I went to the Jeep Australian Open Polo Championships. One of my lovely girlfriends asked me a couple of weeks ago and I was thrilled to be a part of it.

I love polo. I'm not super into racing meets (too much pretentious hipster-ness/wannabe A-list juxtaposed awkwardly with obscene amounts of alcohol consumption - no thanks!) but I really enjoy polo. It's relaxed, chic and athletic in a way that is accessible for the average bystander. You can usually take a picnic and set up a nice lunch or alternatively pay for a marquee ticket.

I had a couple of outfits in mind. One of the things that separates polo from traditional racing, at least to my mind, is the dress code: 'race-wear' has  been misinterpreted to such a degree that most people now wear dresses more suited to midnight in a nightclub than trackside at 11am. Polo is feminine, chic but practical - definitely no stilettos or too-tight/too short skirts. You'll probably have to climb over some barriers at some point in the day to stomp the divots, so keep it practical and enjoy the day.

I set up two options, accessories kept constant with two different dresses:

Outfit 1:
Dress: Tibi
Wedges: Miu Miu
Bag: Bally
Aviators: Tiffany & Co

Dress: Country Road
Coat: Bi La Li
Wedges: Miu Miu
Belt: YSL
Bag: Bally
Aviators: Tiffany & Co

 
 





In the end and with M's guidance, I went with my first choice which was the Tibi colour-block dress. I didn't bother with the little raw silk ivory jacket as the day ended up being quite warm. It was fabulous to catch up with all my friends, watch the chukkas and do some people-watching.

I hope you all had a lovely Sunday :) xo

No comments:

Post a Comment