Tuesday 17 February 2015

Tuesdays - something old, new and blue

Ballet flats because I'm doing lots of walking. Birkin because...Birkin.


I kind of love Tuesdays. Mondays are usually a bit hectic but by Tuesday, you've put out whatever small fires may have arisen over the weekend as well as delegated tasks to colleagues as necessary, the remainder of the week is settling down and you know what you have to do and have a timeframe for you and your team to clear everything by Friday.

The weather is still quite warm and I'm doing a lot of running around at work at the moment, so I thought I'd pair some slim-line print pants with an ivory tank and black peplum jacket:

Top: Witchery
Pants: Country Road
Jacket: Ralph Lauren
Heels: Jimmy Choo
Bag: Hermes
Eagle-eyes may have spotted that we have a new addition: I have to introduce my new-to-me 2006 Hermes Birkin 35 in beautiful Blue Jean clemence leather with palladium (silver) hardware. Sigh. The beauty, no?

I went to Hermes a little while ago to discuss bags and the store manager mentioned that they are discontinuing the colour Blue Jean. It's a very classic Hermes colour and I have always wanted something in it that is iconic of the design house. I find it to be more relaxed than the black, which is absolutely a work bag and always looks like one to me. The blue seems potentially more transitional, able to move more seamlessly to weekend outfits and occasions.

Coincidentally, I spotted this bag in a lovely consignment store about a few weeks later and after a couple of lengthy inspections and some thought, I decided I would buy it. It was a very good price, in superb condition and of course, entirely authentic. I'm loving her with my work outfits so far, it's nice to have that pop of colour against the basic blacks and neutrals that make up such a large part of my wardrobe. I'm looking forward to taking her to the beach at the weekend - assuming the weather isn't awful.

While I do buy new bags etc, I am by no means snobbish about pre-loved purchases when the quality and price is right. My father always taught me that most items (cars, clothes, bags, watches) lose at least 50% of their value the moment they walk out the shop door. So there is a huge mark-up that we pay just for the retail experience. I also love the idea of giving new life to a bag or piece of jewellery that someone has grown tired of. It's kind of romantic to me, recycling in the chicest sense :)

No comments:

Post a Comment